Now that winter is just around the corner and it’s cold outside, now is the perfect time to make some delicious and hot soup! An undisputed classic French onion soup is so simple and easy to make that it is the perfect choice for dinner on a cold evening. Its delicious taste looks like nothing and onions are healthy too. They are high in potassium and vitamin C, which help lower blood pressure. As if you need more reasons to make this delicious soup, the onion soup goes perfectly with garlic bread and melted cheese in the soup itself, making it a delicious dish. So without further talking, let’s get straight to it directly. Here we have an amazing and easy onion soup that you can make anytime you want. All it takes is some time to prepare the onions and a little patience and you are good to go!
What Will I Need?
The ingredients are pretty simple and easy to come by. All are available in almost all grocery stores and supermarkets:
- 2 TBSP. Vegetable oil.
- 7-8 large white onions.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 TBSP. dry onion soup mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cream (optional).
- Yellow cheese of your choice for melting (also optional).
How Do I Make It?
- First you need to cut and brown all the onions. All you have to do is put the oil in a pan and add the onions, simmering them for about 40 minutes until they are golden brown. Just make sure you mix them from time to time to avoid burns. We only want brown, not black.
- Once the onions are cooked, transfer them to a large, thick-bottomed saucepan and fill almost completely with water, about 3/4 of the way. Put the heat under the saucepan.
- Slice the garlic and add to the saucepan with the soup mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook covered over medium heat for approx. 40 minutes.
- If you want the soup to be creamier, you can add cream.
- Another option is to add the cheese to the soup while it’s already in a serving bowl so it will melt.
Garlic bread is an amazing combination with this soup too! All you have to do now is enjoy this onion soup!